Don’t sleep through this news, even though it contains the name, Rip Van Winkle …
If you like Pappy Van Winkle and count yourself among the famously frustrated bourbon fans who never even get to taste it, now’s your chance to get a bunch of the Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery’s best and sip it alongside the incredible cuisine at Lilly’s.
Come Nov. 13, Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery president Julian Van Winkle III will team up with Lilly’s chef-owner Kathy Cary to put on a one-of-a-kind dinner whose seats will surely sell out fast.
Doors open at 6:30 p.m., followed by a five-course dinner paired with five tastes of Pappy at 7.
As guests chew and sip that dreamy whiskey, Van Winkle will talk to guests about his bourbons and answer questions about the featured pairings.
Cost of the event is $200 per person (plus tax and gratuity), and reservations are required. Call 502-451-0447 to ensure you get a seat.
Following is the dinner menu for the evening. We recommend you start fasting now.
- First course: butternut bourbon pecan velouté with pulled quail confit, paired with Old Rip Van Winkle 10-year-old bourbon
- Second course: hearty winter salad with candied pecans, pork belly lardons, poached egg and warm bacon vinaigrette, paired with Pappy Van Winkle 12-year-old bourbon
- Third course: smoked bourbon bacon-wrapped scallops with loaded grits and rosemary lobster cream, paired with Pappy Van Winkle 15-year-old bourbon
- Fourth course: duck fat drunken filet with spoonbread, Brussels sprouts, chestnuts and bourbon demi-glace, paired with Pappy Van Winkle 20-year-old bourbon
- Fifth course: bourbon brioche bread pudding with bourbon chocolate anglaise, paired with Pappy Van Winkle 23-year-old bourbon